Job Title – Staff Engineer, Software
Job Location – Bangalore
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $20 billion and approximately 70,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
All of our employees share a common set of values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you’re looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific. Visit us at
We are looking for a staff engineer to join our new and growing engineering team in eCommerce. The ideal candidate is an energetic self-starter with strong work experience. This person will play a central role in the delivery of applications and services that empower users to improve their health.
The Staff Engineer provides systems architectural and design leadership to multiple Software Development Scrum Teams in eCommerce. The role is of a Lead Developer who is motivated to actively contribute to the architecture, design and development of new features.
The person is also expected to perform all aspects of software development including system design, design review, development, code review, unit testing, and integration testing. In addition to that, the role also demands to lead, motivate, mentor and provide ample guidance to the other team members with respect to technical challenges.
- Serve as a technical lead for the product and actively participate in all Agile ceremonies. Participate in all team ceremonies including planning, grooming, product demonstration and team retrospectives
- Work with product owners and other development team members to determine new features and user stories needed in complex development projects
- Participate in all aspects of software development, systems integration, test execution, issue resolution, and reviews.
- Documents may include detailed specifications, implementation guides, architecture diagrams or design documents.
- Participate in code reviews with peers and managers to ensure that each increment adheres to original vision as described in the user story and all standard resource libraries and architecture patterns as appropriate.
- Effectively contributes to building the overall knowledge and expertise of the technical team.
- Expert proficiency in Object Oriented Design (OOD) and analysis. Expert proficiency in application of analysis/design engineering functions. Expert proficiency in application of non-functional software qualities such as resiliency, maintainability, etc. Expert proficiency in advanced behavior-driven testing techniques.
- Provide expertise for teams in all matters related to deployment, building and release process.
- Respond support calls for applications in production in order to resolve issues in production.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required.
- 10+ years of related experience.
- At least 10 years of experience in Java/J2EE and related technologies with solid understanding of design principles
- Hands on experience with Spring Boot Framework, RESTful APIs, and Microservices based architecture
- Experience as a Tech Lead and ability to provide guidance in designing and architecting critical software applications
- Experience maintaining and designing applications on AWS
- Experience with distributed computing, enterprise-wide systems i.e. Service Oriented Architecture
- Experience with building high performing, distributed, scalable, high quality software services, microservices
- Experience with developing Microservices
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with modern monitoring and logging platforms
- Experience with database technologies and SQL
- 4+ years of experience in open-source framework
- Experience in Agile methodologies, and DevOps tools (GIT, Jenkins)
- Experience with databases Postgres, Oracle, NoSQL DB.
- Excellent communication skills as well as experience influencing senior leadership
- Be flexible to work with some overlapping work overs if needed and attend onshore calls.
- Regular day to day job responsibilities does not involve travel.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.