Why will you enjoy this new opportunity
You are passionate about security. You are naturally curious and persistent and do the right thing when no one is looking. As a member of our team you will enable the Digital Transformation of Information Security by driving efficiency through security architecture principles and automation. We are changing the way Information Security works and we want you to be a part of it.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for
We are looking for an experienced Information Security evangelist to join our team as Senior Information Security Engineer. The Senior Information Security Engineer is responsible for analyzing systems, applications and supporting infrastructure, and recommending and developing security measures to protect information against unauthorized access, modification or loss. The Senior Information Security Engineer also forms the interface between the business, information security governance, Enterprise Architecture and R&D teams of VMware Inc.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing
- As an experienced engineer you will make an impact from your first day on our team. You will work with clients in helping them understand Zero Trust framework and developing actionable approaches for adoption.
- You will help to build a balanced team and adopting Zero Trust Architecture framework throughout the organization. You will use your experience to help shape the way our team works.
- You will augment your existing skills and experience as you learn the ins and outs of our dynamic environment. Each member of our team has at least one personal development goal at any time and continued learning is expected.
What type of work will you be doing What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis
- You will be part of a team that lead ideation, strategy and partner with architects and developers to build Zero Trust roadmaps and execution plans that enable the security organization to manage risk for VMware and increase visibility in an increasingly complicated world.
- Develop innovative solutions to protect, networks, assets and products by implementing state-the-art detection, prevention, and response capabilities
- Work closely with enterprise architects, other functional area architects, engineering, and security specialists to ensure adequate security solutions and controls are in place throughout all IT systems and platforms to mitigate identified risks sufficiently, and to meet business objectives and regulatory requirements.
- You live and breathe Python and have worked extensively with source code management tools (GitHub/GitLab) and issue tracking tools such as Jira. Comfortable with Cloud environments like AWS and Azure (and associated technologies boto3 and Azure SDK), you will be to quickly pivot to pick up new skills as required.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills are also required, with the ability to explain complex security and technical concepts simply.
- You are committed to continuous security learning and have a clear vision of your future. It would be awesome if you have experience facilitating product design and management exercises. API Design and development are part of the job so experience in that area will be an advantage.
- Mentor, coach, and guide junior talent towards becoming Zero Trust subject matter professionals. Ideally you have a track record of community participation with local meetups, Conference speaking and open source contributions.
Required Skills and Experience
- 8+ years experience in Information Security space.
- Proven ability in security process and organizational design.
- Strong experience with security technologies, including Firewalls, DLP, web filtering, NAC, IDS/ IPS, SSO, Certificate Management, SIEM, Endpoint Protection, Anti-malware, vulnerability management.
- Engage in technical design of solutions based on use cases and business requirements
- Participate in proof of concepts and other technical evaluations of technologies, designs and solutions
- Extensive understanding of Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture.
- Develop and expand API framework to interconnect Security Tools
- Linux and Windows system administration (Windows 2016, Centos, Amazon Linux, RHEL)
- Scripting, Programming, Coding knowledge (Python, Bash, Powershell)
- Comfort with devops and automation mindset and the tools required (Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Lambda)
- Ability to constructively challenge status quo while adhering to corporate ethics and leadership principles
- Ability to execute with passion. Lead and follow with Integrity, in a collaborative manner.
- Certifications like CISSP, CCSP, Security+, CEH, CISM, TOGAF
- AWS solution architect professional, Azure Solution Architect
What is the leadership like for this role What is the structure and culture of the team like
The Hiring Manager for this role is a Senior Manager, Information Security. He has experience working with teams across VMware on developing and implementing security solutions. He has been with VMware for more than 8 years now.
He believes in collaboration, teamwork, and providing his team with the best opportunity to succeed. Doing the best possible job and helping other VMware teams is essential to success on the team. The team atmosphere is relaxed even in stressful times and appropriate work/life balance is essential. Leading projects and driving items to completion is a valuable quality.
This is a new team with an important mission. We are a distributed team who can work anywhere. We follow agile development methodologies including pair programming, experimentation, iteration and are committed to learning from rapid feedback. We spend as little time in meetings as possible, instead focusing on adding real value and making meaningful use of our time. We evangelize and drive adoption of these methodologies across the security teams at VMware.
We engage with the broader security community by participating in local meetups, conferences and open source contributions.
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.